Overview of St. Isidore’s Garden:
The Garden was first planted in 2013. Each summer the Garden employs 22 youth aged 15-18 as Gardeners. Our supervisors help our young people to learn how to care for, and tend to the plants, while using concepts of Positive Youth Development to help young people grow themselves. Garden experience is helpful, but youth experience is preferred. The produce planted includes varieties of tomatoes, peppers, and onions. The harvest is donated to local food pantries in the Madison area. In 2023 1,600 tomato plants and 1,800 pepper plants were grown to donate produce. Since 2013, we have donated over 200,000 pounds of produce.
It's not just about tomatoes!
Our vision for the Garden is to hire young people who need jobs to grow food for people who need food. We hope to share with our gardeners the opportunity to be part of a team and to develop their own work ethic, while learning the value of where our food comes from.
St. Isidore’s Garden is located on an acre of land within Frostwood Farm II, a hay farming operation located in Fitchburg, WI.
Overview of Responsibilities:
This position is a full-time summer position. We are looking to hire a minimum of four supervisors.
The Garden Supervisor will supervise/instruct Gardeners, be a part of the management team of the summer garden program, and work with the Garden and Frostwood Team in tending to the Garden. The Garden Team comprises the Program Director, Youth Coordinator, Garden Manager, Assistant Garden Manager, Garden Supervisors, and the staff of Frostwood Farms. Garden supervisors will report to the Frostwood Farms Program Director.
Garden Supervisor responsibilities include:
1. Assisting with the planting of the Garden.
2. Supervising 22 youth as part of a team in farm and garden projects.
3. Learning and maintaining Frostwood Farms and St. Isidore’s Garden standards and teaching these standards to the Gardeners which includes ensuring that the gardeners can tend to the garden properly. This includes weeding, stringing, watering, and pruning.
4. Maintaining effective communication with the Program Director and the entire Garden team.
5. Monitoring Gardener hours daily and ensuring accuracy.
6. Physically able to work outdoors all summer and be able to handle work in the Garden such as digging, watering, lifting, etc.
7. Passing a driver certification exam for a 12-passenger van to transport Gardeners to and from the pickup location and the Garden.
Essential Skills and experience:
The successful candidate should have the following:
1. Previous experience working with a diverse population of youth.
2. Good interpersonal and communication skills.
3. Ability to work independently and make informed decisions.
4. Ability to recognize and instruct in the importance of teamwork and respect.
5. A valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
6. Experience working with others in a supervisory capacity and as part of a team.
• Up to $25/hour, based on experience.
• Seasonal position: Early May 2024 - September 2024, with potential to go longer depending on condition of plants and weather permitting.
• 8:00am – 4:00pm Monday-Friday
• 30-40 Hours a week, dependent on weather
• Due to the compact 11-week “season” we have with the teens being present every day is important. We will not be able to accommodate vacations unless prearranged with the Program Director.
To Apply: Please submit a resume with cover letter to Daniel Steinbring.
Frostwood Farms Program Director
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.