compensation: $13.63 per hour; full benefits and vacation and sick time provided employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
The Teen Build Up Program Lead helps create and run our comprehensive afterschool programs and summer internship for youth in grades 9-12. Teen Build Up emphasizes positive youth development, racial/social justice, and trauma informed and intrinsic motivation approaches to work with diverse groups of young people through leadership and organizing development, academic support, and recreational, arts, and health/fitness activities.
The ideal candidate will bring enthusiasm for working with young people and offering culturally relevant programming and enriching experiences. This part-time position reports to the Youth Programs Manager.
The Lussier Community Education Center (LCEC) is a grassroots community center located on Madison's west side (on the grounds of Jefferson Middle School and Memorial High School) with a 39-year history of building community, creating opportunities, and enriching education.
HOURS: 30 hours per week, generally 1 pm - 7 pm, though schedules may vary according to activities.
Full benefits and paid time off.
Position starts late August or early September.
Duties and responsibilities
• Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating daily activities for Teen Build Up (TBU) and Youth Action Summer Internship with a strong emphasis on youth planning and involvement.
• Build relationships with schools' and other youth serving organizations' staff to promote LCEC programs and build a network of resources for youth and program development.
• Develop strong positive relationships with youth and their families.
• Be sensitive to issues students face and identify needs and solutions for individual situations that arise.
• Participate with the TBU team in upholding program behavior expectations and managing conflicts that arise.
• Orchestrate one-time and ongoing clubs including gender groups, Youth Action, artist in residence projects, teen cuisine, radio club and adventure club.
• Manage the recruitment and retention of Jane Burrows Buffett Scholars and provide mentoring, tutoring and enrichment opportunities to current high school scholars.
• Work with existing and develop new partnerships to offer age-appropriate opportunities in arts, leadership and service learning, academic enrichment and health and fitness.
• Cultivate relationships with organizations such as Edgewood and Madison College to identify and create career and higher education opportunities for TBU participants regularly.
• Coordinate weekly team planning meetings, collect daily attendance and assist with grant report writing.
• Participate in the shared work of the LCEC, including neighborhood events, staff retreats/meetings, and other projects as they arise.
Desired skills and experience
• A minimum of six months' experience working with middle or high school age youth in a similar capacity.
• Behavior management/conflict resolution knowledge.
• The ability to work productively with large or small youth groups.
• Valid driver's license and clean driving record.
• Understanding and appreciation of socio-economically, ethnically, and culturally diverse populations.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
All candidates for open positions must complete and submit the LCEC's job application.
Download the required application in Word at https://www.LCECmadison.org (under About/Job Opportunities) or pick up an application at 55 S Gammon Rd, Madison WI 53717. Resumes and cover letters are accepted with an application, but not in place of one.
Return application materials to the Lussier Community Education Center in-person or by mail at 55 S Gammon Rd, Madison WI 53717, or email them.
Applications received by Wednesday July 18, 2018, will receive first consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The LCEC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities