compensation: $34,000 salary with health benefits and paid time off employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
For 40 years, the Lussier Community Education Center (formerly the Wexford Ridge Neighborhood Center) has drawn in children, youth, adults and elders from all walks of life to take care of one another and create a more just, healthy and vibrant community. Each year the LCEC’s 12,000-square-foot green-built structure welcomes thousands of people and hundreds of activities to build community, create opportunities and enrich education.
The LCEC collaborates with MSCR to run Youth Resource Center (YRC) as our comprehensive afterschool program for youth in grades 6-8. The LCEC also offers summer programs for middle school students. Both emphasize positive youth development, racial/social justice, and trauma informed approaches in enrichment activities focused on academic success, health and fitness, arts and creativity, and community service.
The Middle School Programs Coordinator fronts the program alongside our Youth Programs Manager and AmeriCorps members. The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about working with young people, offering culturally relevant programming, and developing young learners through enriching experiences. This position reports to the Youth Programs Manager.
HOURS: Full time, generally 10am-6pm with some evening and weekend hours required
COMPENSATION: $34,000 plus health and disability benefits and paid time off
Program management and youth engagement
• Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating daily youth activities for YRC and summer programming with a strong emphasis on youth involvement in these processes.
• Develop strong positive relationships with youth and their families.
• Be sensitive to issues students face, and identify needs and solutions for individual situations that arise.
• Orchestrate one-time and ongoing clubs including LEAP 2 College, Girls Inc., MENS, artists in residence, community service projects, and Adventure Club.
• Uphold program behavior expectations and manage conflicts that arise.
• Coordinate and provide regular school-day and afterschool mentoring for up to 15 students to help them succeed both academically and social/emotionally.
• Work with existing partners and develop new partnerships to offer age-appropriate opportunities in arts, leadership and service learning, academic enrichment, and health and fitness.
Coordination and program administration
• Recruit, retain and supervise volunteers and interns to work within the program.
• Build relationships with school and other youth serving organization staff and youth participants to promote YRC and recruit participants throughout the year and for special opportunities.
• Ensure collection of (1) participant program registration information; (2) daily attendance data; and (3) other data as needed for programming planning, evaluation, and improvement.
• Coordinate weekly team planning, implementation and debrief meetings.
• Assist with LCEC communications by taking quality photos and helping to write grant applications, grant reports, and articles about middle school programs .
Participate in the shared work of the LCEC, including community dinners, staff retreats/meetings, and other projects as they arise.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• One year of experience working with middle or high school age youth in a similar capacity.
• Knowledge of and experience with behavior management and conflict resolution and the ability to work productively with large or small groups of youth.
• Mature attitude, creativity, resourcefulness, and a positive role model for youth.
• Understanding of, appreciation for, and experience with socio-economically, ethnically and culturally diverse populations.
• Valid driver’s license and at least three years’ driving experience
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Download the required application in Word at LCECmadison.org (under ABOUT/Job Opportunities) or pick one up at the Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S Gammon Rd, Madison. Cover letter and resume sent without an application may prompt consideration, but a completed application will be required at or before interview. Return application materials to the LCEC in person, by mail, or email.
Applications received by Thursday, April 11, 2019, will receive first consideration.
Ideal candidates are available to start at least part time in May 2019.
LCEC is an EOE/AA employer.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities